Owned by the Walt Disney Company (80%), ESPN is the biggest sports entertainment channel. For diehard sports aficionados, ESPN is a must-have channel. It broadcasts live sports, originals, shows, and more. However, for someone who has recently ditched cable but doesn’t want to miss out on the 24/7 sports coverage, they must not look beyond Roku or Fire TV. To watch your favorite sporting events (MLB, NHL, MLS, Grand Slam Tennis, Cricket, or Rugby), subscribe to the ESPN+ streaming service and activate it on your streaming device at espn.com/activate.
Easy Steps to Add & Activate ESPN+ on Roku
If ESPN is the most popular sports channel in the US, Roku is the biggest streaming platform in the country. Refer to the steps below to start streaming all kinds of sports programming offered by ESPN+.
Guide to Install ESPN Channel App on Roku
- Turn on your Roku device. From the home screen, navigate to the “Streaming Channels” option.
- Under this, you will see “Search Channels”.
- Click on it and go to “Roku Channel Store” using the remote.
- Click on the magnifying glass icon and search for the concerned app.
- You will now see the ESPN+ app on the screen. Click on the “Add channel” button to add to your Roku device.
- The channel will be added to the Roku channel list.
But, you can’t stream it until you subscribe to a plan and activate it on the espn.com/activate page. Read on to know how to carry out further steps seamlessly.
Activate ESPN on Roku using espn.com/activate
- On your Roku device, you need to launch the ESPN app.
- Go to “Settings” and click on the “Subscriptions” option.
- You will select “ESPN+”. Choose an ideal plan (monthly $5.99/- or annual $49.99/-).
- Click on the “LOGIN” button.
- Enter the log-in credentials (if prompted) to generate an ESPN activation code.
- Note down the code and access the official activation link – espn.com/activate on your mobile or computer.
- Enter the code in the right field and click on the “Continue” button.
- You will have to enter the ESPN sign-in credentials to “LOGIN”. (Note: If you don’t have an account, create one.)
Your ESPN+ subscription will now be linked to your Roku streaming device. So you will be all set to enjoy your favorite game.
Steps to Activate ESPN on Amazon Fire TV Stick
Get instant access to the ESPN app on your Amazon Fire TV Stick. The process is pretty simple. Just install the app from the Amazon app store and activate it at espn.com/activate. For the complete installation and activation process, refer to these steps.
- Press the Find option on your Fire TV’s home screen.
- Search the ESPN app and press the Get option to add the application.
- After installation, open the app.
- You will be provided an activation code.
- Now, go to the ESPN activation page (espn.com/activate) on your phone/computer browser.
- Enter the code in the provided field and press Continue.
- Sign in to your ESPN account or register for a new one.
- Your ESPN account is now linked to your Fire TV.
ESPN activation code not working? Troubleshooting Tips
What happens when you fail to authenticate the activation code? The straight answer is that you can’t access the channel on your streaming device. Instead of losing calm¸you must try out the troubleshooting tips below.
- Try Uninstalling and Re-installing ESPN+: Access the Roku home screen and try removing the channel. Navigate to the channel tile. On the Roku remote, you will need to press the “*” key > “Remove channel”. Once done, restart the device by accessing “Settings” > “System”> “System restart”. After your device is back again, you need to follow the steps to add the channel. It should resolve the issue.
- Access espn.com/activate in Private Mode: If you didn’t get the activation code from your regular web browser, try opening the link in incognito mode. This might fix the problem.
About ESPN or ESPN+ (Is it FREE?)
With the ESPN+ streaming service now available on your Roku or Fire Stick device, it surely marks an exciting moment for the over-the-top sports experience. This service is only available to fans residing in the United States. ESPN+ offers subscribers to access endless hours of exclusive studio programs, high-quality original shows and films, live sports events, and an unmatched on-demand library. However, you will have to pay a certain amount to receive all these unrivaled programs and events. It would be best if you chose an ideal plan (monthly $5.99/- or annual $49.99/-) to enjoy streaming ESPN FC (Soccer), In The Crease (NHL), and more.
Frequent Asked Questions
Q: I have cut the cord and am wondering how to watch ESPN sports. Any suggestion!
A: Yes, you can get ESPN without cable. You can purchase a subscription plan and link it to your streaming device.
Q: What are the alternative services that offer ESPN programs?
A: The streaming platform boasts several cable alternative services that provide easy streaming of the ESPN family of networks. Some popular alternative services are Hulu with Live TV, DIRECTV NOW, Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, and ESPN+.
Q: Do I have to pay some amount to watch ESPN programs?
A: Yes, you will have to pay to access the service. ESPN+ is the best way to catch hundreds of live sporting events, plus original programmings like First Take, SportsCenter, and more.